Posts Tagged viral
Any marketer that sets out to make “good viral marketing” is probably setting themselves up for failure. I hear the words viral and marketing thrown around all too often, and those words are usually followed by “how do we create more exposure for our brand”.
I’m sure there are those who disagree but good viral marketing by definition means not putting your brand first. Something that’s a blatant self promotion of your brand is likely to fail as a viral tactic because no one wants to pass on a commercial. They want to pass on things that are
a) Not blatant self-serving commercials selling things
b) Humorous and/or entertaining and/or informative
c) Support or benefit a cause that people connect to emotionally
d) Remember to go back to a
Below are three examples, all of which meet 2 or more of the three things above.
Xerox – Lets Say Thanks Campaign (sorry, just a link…no video)
The first I’m sure many of you have seen… I don’t think Dave Carroll ever set out to get 6 million viewers and tank United Airlines stock price. But people found the video humorous, and they emotionally connected to the “little guy” fighting the big bad corporation. And through it all, he didn’t try to sell you any of his music, though I’m pretty sure he got some guitars out of the deal courtesy of Taylor Guitars and sold a few more downloads in the process.
The second campaign was paid for by Medline who makes, well duh, among other things gloves. But how many viewers new medline was behind it…not until the end do you see who paid for it, and through it all medline never tried to promote their product. Just a great cause presented in an entertaining way that people connected with.
The last one, www.LetsSayThanks.com, is one I just stumbled upon. And thumbs up to Xerox…what an outstanding concept. I’m not going to tell you what its about because I want you to click on the link yourself. Xerox has enabled all of us to connect with our troops this holiday season, and all you need to do is click the link. So take 10 seconds and click for our troops! Thanks!
- Playing to customer emotions in B2B
- To be a kid again (Making Make-sense Marketing)
- The schizophrenic marketer
- Marketing vs customer value
- Skype: An option for a brain drain
- Kathy Sierra: Pixie Dust & The Mountain of Mediocrity
- Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
- Going beyond the sizzle (of technology marketing)
- Seth: Are you a scientist?
- Strategy on One Page
- Still on Facebook
- VW gears up underserved segment
- HBR: The Risks of Quantification
- RIM: One more nail in the coffin?
- max on Playing to customer emotions in B2B
- Hnr on VW gears up underserved segment
- Kris Kaneta on Playing to customer emotions in B2B
- Brenda Toy on Playing to customer emotions in B2B
- Kris Kaneta on The schizophrenic marketer
- Kelly on The schizophrenic marketer
- Marketing vs customer value « Marketing Muster on Chasing lightcycles across the grid
- Impressive results! 60% reduction in cancelled procedures?! #patientflow twitter.com/DarenFradgley/… 2 days ago
- RT @TeleTracking: Incredible honor to be given the Lord Carter Innovation Award! Until #NoPatientWaits twitter.com/mgallup7/statu… 2 days ago
- RT @RWT_DignityCare: @ClareNash20 @TeleTracking @NuttyGwen @SMcI14 @thenhsITguy @RWT_NHS Congratulations and well done to all involved in m… 2 days ago
- w00t! Thank you for the opportunity! twitter.com/H_Innov8/statu… 2 days ago
- Seeking Director Prod Mktg. Help lead best marketing team in healthcare! #micdropsdaily #marketingjobs @teletracking linkedin.com/jobs/view/3171… 1 week ago
- Just typed my network password right for the 2nd time since changing it yesterday. So, you know, #winning! 1 week ago
- @mattgemmell excellent. Looking very much forward to it. 1st one was really fun. 1 week ago
- @mattgemmell how’s the new novel coming along? Still wanting to publish later this yr? 2 weeks ago
- Office helper instagram.com/p/BS4wc2pDHprU… 2 weeks ago
- <sigh> Not sure I will ever understand why MS @office prog's don't use the same keyboard shortcuts. @msonenote & Outlook especially. </sigh> 2 weeks ago
- advertising advisory services b2b b2c benchmarking blogging brand identity branding Cisco communication competition Credibility CRM Customer Experience customer profitability customer research Customer Retention customer service data data driven data visualization direct mail email marketing endorsements Facebook Fans Gibson hbr healthcare Hollywood internships interviewing intro itunes Jimmy Page kanye Lebron James Les Paul March of the Penguins marketing marketing metrics Mayo mba metrics microsoft movement marketing multipliedby netflix Old Spice online marketing opportunity costs outbound marketing people marketing personal branding product marketing RFM Rhapsody RIM Sam service marketing silos skype Slash social media sponsorships sports marketing strategy Technology Toyota transparency trusted advisor twitter viral Viral Media viral video