Posts Tagged viral video
The first time I saw the Old Spice man, he was riding a horse, backwards. That was about 6 months ago. On a humor scale I probably found it a 6 out of 10. I then saw Old Spice man #2 – and he was a bit scary, but still funny. And that was about the extent of my thought process. At the time, I figured the Old Spice campaign was a few TV spots – a little edgy but still a traditional medium that you’d expect from an every day consumer product.
Fast forward to today when I stumble upon @oldspice. With 45K followers, Old Spice has transformed into a social media sensation. Their youtube channel has 6 million views, and more incredibly, their uploads have a collective SIXTY MILLION views. Wow!!!
How did this transformation happen? Some thoughts…
First, Old Spice invested early on in building brand awareness of the OSG (Old Spice guy). I may be giving them too much credit but in retrospect I really think they had a clear communication and content strategy. Once they established some mass market traction, they launched into phase two…
Leveraging the awareness of OSG, OSG marketers began carrying on conversations with celebs like Christina Applegate and Alyssa Milano, as well as every day Joes. And they all want to talk to him. I don’t think this would have been the case without the traditional media spend they invested in early on (proving my oft made point that social media is just a tactic in the marketer’s arsenal, not a strategy). Add to that well thought out social content with broad appeal and you’ve created a viral need for others to also engage with OSG. I have never seen anything like this.
It’s customized, mass market, 1:1 marketing over a social landscape. Incredible job… I guess the question I have is – will this help sell more Old Spice??? Curious as to whether or not people are embracing this as purely entertainment or if Old spice is building brand loyalty here (in fact I may just ask him). Your thoughts?
- Playing to customer emotions in B2B
- To be a kid again (Making Make-sense Marketing)
- The schizophrenic marketer
- Marketing vs customer value
- Skype: An option for a brain drain
- Kathy Sierra: Pixie Dust & The Mountain of Mediocrity
- Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
- Going beyond the sizzle (of technology marketing)
- Seth: Are you a scientist?
- Strategy on One Page
- Still on Facebook
- VW gears up underserved segment
- HBR: The Risks of Quantification
- RIM: One more nail in the coffin?
- max on Playing to customer emotions in B2B
- Hnr on VW gears up underserved segment
- Kris Kaneta on Playing to customer emotions in B2B
- Brenda Toy on Playing to customer emotions in B2B
- Kris Kaneta on The schizophrenic marketer
- Kelly on The schizophrenic marketer
- Marketing vs customer value « Marketing Muster on Chasing lightcycles across the grid
- RT @TeleTracking: Vote now! medstro.com/posts/9158 ― Proven Solutions that Provide Actionable Metrics for Driving ED Operational Improveme… 10 hours ago
- After a yearlong delay, Amazon’s cashierless “Go” store is finally opening to the public wsj.com/articles/amazo… via @WSJ 22 hours ago
- CDC will shutter influenza program following #shutdown bit.ly/2G0s8gF 1 day ago
- Wowza! #LetsGoDuke Duke now has the top 3 2018 recruits: 1. SF R.J. Barrett 2. SF Cameron Reddish 3. PF Zion Willia… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 day ago
- RT @TeleTracking: Incredible outcomes at @uclh - everything we do is focused on patients and their caregivers! #NoPatientWaits #TeleUK http… 4 days ago
- @countrycoffee You say that now, but when “cheat day” comes around … 1 day ago
- Million dollar business idea: stream basketball games w/o the commentary track (note: with the crowd noises, whistles, shoe squeaks, etc). 2 days ago
- @AboutK DO YOU LIKE APPLES?!?! 4 days ago
- @mrcooper Thank you. Perhaps you could also ask your Mktg department to consider sending fewer emails per week. 4 days ago
- @mrcooper Is there a way to unsubscribe from mktg emails while still keeping e-bills? Your comms pref page is very… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 4 days ago
- advertising advisory services b2b b2c benchmarking blogging brand identity branding Cisco communication competition Credibility CRM Customer Experience customer profitability customer research Customer Retention customer service data data driven data visualization direct mail email marketing endorsements Facebook Fans Gibson hbr healthcare Hollywood internships interviewing intro itunes Jimmy Page kanye Lebron James Les Paul March of the Penguins marketing marketing metrics Mayo mba metrics microsoft movement marketing multipliedby netflix Old Spice online marketing opportunity costs outbound marketing people marketing personal branding product marketing RFM Rhapsody RIM Sam service marketing silos skype Slash social media sponsorships sports marketing strategy Technology Toyota transparency trusted advisor twitter viral Viral Media viral video