Posts Tagged Viral Media
I can’t remember where I heard it, but shortly after March of the Penguins came out, someone joked about the difference between what moviegoers said and what Hollywood heard. As the joke goes, moviegoers said that thoughtfully made, more subtle movies (read: without explosions or scantily clad coeds) can be incredibly entertaining and successful.
What Hollywood heard, on the other hand, was to simply make more penguin movies.
Recently there’s been a lot of talk about the Old Spice Guy, a quirky marketing campaign that became an overnight sensation on the internet. And so it should come as no surprise that the first wave of copycats is hitting the ‘net and, also unsurprisingly, falling flat on their faces.
Witness Cisco’s “Ted From Accounting” campaign. In an effort to replicate the Old Spice Guy Response Campaign (the rapid-fire video posts of a few weeks back), Cisco tried to rush what should have been a subtle, weeks-long process into a few hours.
What Cisco forgot, of course, was the cardinal rule of social media: its all about the credibility. Not only did they blatantly rip off the idea (the original blog post admits as much), but they also skipped the groundwork necessary to be believable. And without credibility, it doesn’t matter who you think you are, what you’re trying to do, or who else has done it before you, the internet is going to make the “epic-ness of your fail” painfully clear.
[Photo via Sidereal on flickr]
- Playing to customer emotions in B2B
- To be a kid again (Making Make-sense Marketing)
- The schizophrenic marketer
- Marketing vs customer value
- Skype: An option for a brain drain
- Kathy Sierra: Pixie Dust & The Mountain of Mediocrity
- Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
- Going beyond the sizzle (of technology marketing)
- Seth: Are you a scientist?
- Strategy on One Page
- Still on Facebook
- VW gears up underserved segment
- HBR: The Risks of Quantification
- RIM: One more nail in the coffin?
- max on Playing to customer emotions in B2B
- Hnr on VW gears up underserved segment
- Kris Kaneta on Playing to customer emotions in B2B
- Brenda Toy on Playing to customer emotions in B2B
- Kris Kaneta on The schizophrenic marketer
- Kelly on The schizophrenic marketer
- Marketing vs customer value « Marketing Muster on Chasing lightcycles across the grid
- RT @TeleTracking: Vote now! medstro.com/posts/9158 ― Proven Solutions that Provide Actionable Metrics for Driving ED Operational Improveme… 9 hours ago
- After a yearlong delay, Amazon’s cashierless “Go” store is finally opening to the public wsj.com/articles/amazo… via @WSJ 22 hours ago
- CDC will shutter influenza program following #shutdown bit.ly/2G0s8gF 1 day ago
- Wowza! #LetsGoDuke Duke now has the top 3 2018 recruits: 1. SF R.J. Barrett 2. SF Cameron Reddish 3. PF Zion Willia… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 day ago
- RT @TeleTracking: Incredible outcomes at @uclh - everything we do is focused on patients and their caregivers! #NoPatientWaits #TeleUK http… 4 days ago
- @countrycoffee You say that now, but when “cheat day” comes around … 1 day ago
- Million dollar business idea: stream basketball games w/o the commentary track (note: with the crowd noises, whistles, shoe squeaks, etc). 2 days ago
- @AboutK DO YOU LIKE APPLES?!?! 4 days ago
- @mrcooper Thank you. Perhaps you could also ask your Mktg department to consider sending fewer emails per week. 4 days ago
- @mrcooper Is there a way to unsubscribe from mktg emails while still keeping e-bills? Your comms pref page is very… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 4 days ago
- advertising advisory services b2b b2c benchmarking blogging brand identity branding Cisco communication competition Credibility CRM Customer Experience customer profitability customer research Customer Retention customer service data data driven data visualization direct mail email marketing endorsements Facebook Fans Gibson hbr healthcare Hollywood internships interviewing intro itunes Jimmy Page kanye Lebron James Les Paul March of the Penguins marketing marketing metrics Mayo mba metrics microsoft movement marketing multipliedby netflix Old Spice online marketing opportunity costs outbound marketing people marketing personal branding product marketing RFM Rhapsody RIM Sam service marketing silos skype Slash social media sponsorships sports marketing strategy Technology Toyota transparency trusted advisor twitter viral Viral Media viral video