Posts Tagged Old Spice
The first time I saw the Old Spice man, he was riding a horse, backwards. That was about 6 months ago. On a humor scale I probably found it a 6 out of 10. I then saw Old Spice man #2 – and he was a bit scary, but still funny. And that was about the extent of my thought process. At the time, I figured the Old Spice campaign was a few TV spots – a little edgy but still a traditional medium that you’d expect from an every day consumer product.
Fast forward to today when I stumble upon @oldspice. With 45K followers, Old Spice has transformed into a social media sensation. Their youtube channel has 6 million views, and more incredibly, their uploads have a collective SIXTY MILLION views. Wow!!!
How did this transformation happen? Some thoughts…
First, Old Spice invested early on in building brand awareness of the OSG (Old Spice guy). I may be giving them too much credit but in retrospect I really think they had a clear communication and content strategy. Once they established some mass market traction, they launched into phase two…
Leveraging the awareness of OSG, OSG marketers began carrying on conversations with celebs like Christina Applegate and Alyssa Milano, as well as every day Joes. And they all want to talk to him. I don’t think this would have been the case without the traditional media spend they invested in early on (proving my oft made point that social media is just a tactic in the marketer’s arsenal, not a strategy). Add to that well thought out social content with broad appeal and you’ve created a viral need for others to also engage with OSG. I have never seen anything like this.
It’s customized, mass market, 1:1 marketing over a social landscape. Incredible job… I guess the question I have is – will this help sell more Old Spice??? Curious as to whether or not people are embracing this as purely entertainment or if Old spice is building brand loyalty here (in fact I may just ask him). Your thoughts?
- Playing to customer emotions in B2B
- To be a kid again (Making Make-sense Marketing)
- The schizophrenic marketer
- Marketing vs customer value
- Skype: An option for a brain drain
- Kathy Sierra: Pixie Dust & The Mountain of Mediocrity
- Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
- Going beyond the sizzle (of technology marketing)
- Seth: Are you a scientist?
- Strategy on One Page
- Still on Facebook
- VW gears up underserved segment
- HBR: The Risks of Quantification
- RIM: One more nail in the coffin?
- max on Playing to customer emotions in B2B
- Hnr on VW gears up underserved segment
- Kris Kaneta on Playing to customer emotions in B2B
- Brenda Toy on Playing to customer emotions in B2B
- Kris Kaneta on The schizophrenic marketer
- Kelly on The schizophrenic marketer
- Marketing vs customer value « Marketing Muster on Chasing lightcycles across the grid
- Impressive results! 60% reduction in cancelled procedures?! #patientflow twitter.com/DarenFradgley/… 9 hours ago
- RT @TeleTracking: Incredible honor to be given the Lord Carter Innovation Award! Until #NoPatientWaits twitter.com/mgallup7/statu… 9 hours ago
- RT @RWT_DignityCare: @ClareNash20 @TeleTracking @NuttyGwen @SMcI14 @thenhsITguy @RWT_NHS Congratulations and well done to all involved in m… 9 hours ago
- w00t! Thank you for the opportunity! twitter.com/H_Innov8/statu… 9 hours ago
- Seeking Director Prod Mktg. Help lead best marketing team in healthcare! #micdropsdaily #marketingjobs @teletracking linkedin.com/jobs/view/3171… 1 week ago
- Just typed my network password right for the 2nd time since changing it yesterday. So, you know, #winning! 1 week ago
- @mattgemmell excellent. Looking very much forward to it. 1st one was really fun. 1 week ago
- @mattgemmell how’s the new novel coming along? Still wanting to publish later this yr? 1 week ago
- Office helper instagram.com/p/BS4wc2pDHprU… 1 week ago
- <sigh> Not sure I will ever understand why MS @office prog's don't use the same keyboard shortcuts. @msonenote & Outlook especially. </sigh> 1 week ago
- advertising advisory services b2b b2c benchmarking blogging brand identity branding Cisco communication competition Credibility CRM Customer Experience customer profitability customer research Customer Retention customer service data data driven data visualization direct mail email marketing endorsements Facebook Fans Gibson hbr healthcare Hollywood internships interviewing intro itunes Jimmy Page kanye Lebron James Les Paul March of the Penguins marketing marketing metrics Mayo mba metrics microsoft movement marketing multipliedby netflix Old Spice online marketing opportunity costs outbound marketing people marketing personal branding product marketing RFM Rhapsody RIM Sam service marketing silos skype Slash social media sponsorships sports marketing strategy Technology Toyota transparency trusted advisor twitter viral Viral Media viral video